Aircraft Division Bangalore
Aircraft Division was established in the year 1940. Since inception, the Division has manufactured various type of aircraft including fighters and trainers. The product portfolio encompasses both licensed as well as indigenously designed and developed.
The Division is EN / AS9100 Rev D and NADCAP Certified. The Division possesses authorization to perform special processes from major OEMs such as Airbus, Boeing, Israel Aerospace Industries Ltd and BAE systems for export of aero-structures and precision aircraft components.
Core Competency of the Division includes Assembly, Integration, Modifications Compliance and Mid-life Upgrade of Aircraft and Integration of UAVs.
Current manufacturing range:
- Assembly, Integration and Testing:
- Aircraft - LCA Tejas,HTT-40
- UAV - TAPAS MALE UAV, Abhyas -HEAT
- Modifications and Mid-life Upgrade
- Jaguar DARIN- III avionics upgrade
- Hawk Mk-132 mid-life upgrade
The Division is built adjacent to HAL owned Airport facility with its own ATC facility and dedicated airspace. The Division has adequate infrastructure (2,25,000 Sq.m covered area) and is equipped with modern facilities
- Aircraft assembly hangars and Flight testing facility
- Aircraft Transparencies and Canopies
- Honeycomb Structures
- Drop Tank and Removable Role Equipment
- Sheet Metal and Welding Facilities
- ERP based Operations
- CAD / CAM based manufacturing
The operations of Division is supported with:
- Quality Assurance & Quality Engineering
- Methods Engineering
- Industrial Engineering
- Customer Services
- Supply Chain Management
With experience and capabilities built over the past eight decades, Aircraft Division is bidding for a substantial share in the global aviation arena.
- Major aircraft structural modules and assemblies- Metallic & Composite
- Honeycomb sandwich bonded structures and metal to metal bonded components
- Drop Tanks and Removable Role Equipment (Pylons and Pods)
- Precision machined components and sub-assemblies
- Precision sheet metal components
- Aircraft transparencies - wind-shields and canopies
- Integration and Testing of UAVs- Target Drones and MALE UAVs
The Division has High Tech facilities under the following major heads:
- Tool Design- CATIA and UNIGRAPHICS
- CNC 5 and 3 -Axis Twin spindle Aluminum Profiler
- Precision Jig & Turn Mill Centers
- CNC 5 Axis Honeycomb Carving Machine
- CNC 3-Axis Jig Boring Machine
- CNC 5-axis Machining Center
- CNC Hard Turning Center
- CNC 5-axis Laser Scriber
- Measuring & Test instruments:
- Co-ordinate Measuring Machines
- `C' Scan Ultrasonic System
- In-Motion X-Ray Fluoroscopy
- Portable X-Ray Unit
- LASER Trackers
- Sheet Metal, Pipe Bending & Welding:
- CNC Stretch Forming (Sheet and Extrusions)
- Fluid Cell Forming Machine
- CNC Press Brake
- CNC Router
- Creep / Age Forming of Wing and Tail Plane Skins
- Shot Peen Forming
- CNC Pipe Bending
- Fusion Welding (TIG) Facilities
- Resistance Welding
- Glass Fiber Reinforced Plastics (GRP)
- Honey Comb Machining and Bonding
- Honey Comb Bonded Panel Testing
- Forming of Stretched and Cast Acrylic
- Ovens (Composite & Plastics)
- Miniature Detonator Chord Assembly for Canopies
- Optical Tooling- Multi Optical Projection Systems
- Heat Treatment Furnaces – Ferrous & Non-Ferrous
- Process & Plating Facilities
- NADCAP Approved Plating
- Advanced Protective Treatments
- Chemical Milling
- Ion Chromatography
- Electro Static Spray Equipment
- Clean room Spray Painting facilities
- Semi-Automated Loom Tester
- LASER Wire Marking Machine
- Metal and Nomax Braiding of Looms
- Automatic Cable Testing (DITMCO TEST)
- DIT-MCO Test Executive
- Health and Usage Monitoring System (HUMS)
The Division is supported in this endeavor with an active vendor base.
There are over 200 specialist suppliers catering for the Division’s requirements:
- Machined Parts
- Wire Harness and Electrical Panels
- FRP/Composite Components
- Structural Assemblies
- Tool Design and Manufacturing
- GHE and Test Equipment
Around 25% of the total work load is outsourced.
Outsourcing activities are managed by fully cross functional in-house team.
The Division has adopted the policy of synergy with vendors and their development in its growth path.
The Division holds the following Accreditations/Certification:
- Director General of Aeronautical Quality Assurance (DGAQA), India.
- CAR-21 approval from DGCA for manufacture of CIVIL Aircraft components
- CAR -145 approval from DGCA for repair & overhaul of Civil Dornier-228 Landing Gears
- BARC Safety Council, Mumbai
- EN / AS9100 Rev D
- NADCAP Certified
- ISO 14001:2015 on Environmental Management System
- ISO 45001:2018 on Occupational Health and Safety Management System
- Airbus, France
- Boeing, USA.
- BAE System, UK.
- IAI, Bedek Aviation Group, Israel.
- IAI, Commercial Aircraft Group, Israel.
The Division has bagged prestigious National Safety Awards for Outstanding performance:
- National Safety Award organised by Ministry of Labour and Employment, Government of India – Performance Year 2017 (in 2019) & Performance Year 2018 (in 2022).
- National Safety Award “Utthama Suraksha Puraskara” organised by National Safety Council, Karnataka Chapter for performance year 2019 & 2020 (in 2021)
In Oct 2022, the Division received Development cum Production Partner (DcPP)/ Production Agency (PA) certificate from DRDO for Abhyas- High Speed Expendable Aerial Target (HEAT) System.
LIGHT COMBAT AIRCRAFT – TEJAS
The Light Combat Aircraft (LCA) - ‘Tejas’, is light weight, versatile, Omni-role, supersonic combat aircraft. It has been designed and developed by Aeronautical Development Agency (ADA) and HAL to meet the requirements of the Indian Air Force as its frontline, multi-mission, tactical aircraft for the coming decades.
The Aircraft is also fitted with state of the art features like glass cockpit, fly-by-wire flight control, utility services management system(USMS), Environmental control and fuel management system(ECFM), helmet mounted display system(HMDS), Radar warning receiver(RWR), counter measuring display system (CMDS), Open Architecture Mission Computer, Digital Video Recording System, Brake Control Hydraulic Engine and Electrical Monitoring System(BHEEM), Audio Management Unit, Radio Altimeter, Centralized Warning System, TACAN, VOR/ILS, Identification Friend or Foe and Air to Air refueling probe.
Composite material has been used extensively for the fuselage and the wings.
The aircraft is powered by single GE 404 IN20 turbofan engine. Tejas has four variants - Air Force (fighter & Trainer) and Naval (Fighter & Trainer).
Tejas Mark-1A is an advanced version of Mk.1 aircraft equipped with AESA Radar, AESA based SPJ, state of the Art sensor suit- Electronic Warfare (EW) with podded jammers and CMDS, CIT based IFF, smart multi-function displays (SMFD), DMG, Hot re-fueling, SDR with L Band and VHF/UHF data link for communication, ING/PS with GLONASS + IRNSS + GAGAN for navigation, additional PIB for twin launcher and long range BVRAAM.
- Lightest in the class with 30% AUW as payload
- Relaxed static stability
- Quadruplex Digital Fly by Wire
- Glass Cockpit with Open Architecture mission computer system
- Advanced Composite Structure (90% by area and 45% by weight)
- Supersonic fighter for air combat
- Offensive air support
- Anti-shipping missions
- Length : 13.2 meter
- Height : 4.4 meter
- Wing span : 8.2 meter
- Thrust : 83 KN
- MTOW : 13500 Kg
- Fuel capacity : 4500kgs
- Speed : 1.6 Mach
- Service Ceiling : 15 Km
- Range : 1800km @ 31500
- Max g : + 8g / - 3.5 g
HAWK MK 132 AJT AIRCRAFT
The Hawk Mk.132 Advance Jet Trainer is a transonic tandem-seat multi-purpose aircraft, powered by a single Rolls Royce Adour Mk.871 turbo fan engine.
Hawk AJT when used in its flying training role it provides basic, advanced and weapons training. The aircraft is cleared for a wide range of aerobatic maneuvers and exhibits very good resistance to departure even outside the normal flight envelope.
HAL has manufactured and delivered 99 Hawk Mk 132 aircraft to Indian Air Force and Indian Navy. HAL has the capability of providing comprehensive product support like supply of spares, aircraft servicing as per prescribed schedules including major overhaul, repair & overhaul of engine and repair of Line Replaceable Units (LRUs).
Hawk AJT aircraft is being produced by HAL as per the License grants from M/s BAE Systems and M/s Rolls Royce UK. M/s BAE Systems and M/s Rolls Royce are the License and Design authorities for Hawk Airframe and Engine respectively.
- Tandem Dual seats
- Inertial Navigation / Global Positioning System, Head-Up Display
- Hands-On Throttle and Stick Controls
- Single Engine
- Night flying capabilities
- Basic Training
- Advanced Training
- Weapons Training
Wing Span : 9.94 m
Length : 12.43 m
Height : 3.98 m
Basic Empty Mass : 4440 kg
Max. Internal Fuel : 1289 kg
Max. External Load : 3000 kg
Max. Take Off Mass : 9100 kg
Max. Speed : 0.84 Mach (at Sea Level)
0.85 Mach (at 30,000 ft)
Max. Service Ceiling : 13899 m
Range with External Fuel : 1395 nm
In order to provide product support for 30 years, HAL has built its own technology demonstrator aircraft (Hawk-i) for obsolescence management and upgrade activities. Apart from BAE Systems, HAL is the only facility with complete manufacturing and ROH capability of Hawk aircraft.
The following systems were integrated on Hawk Mk132 to cater for obsolescence management and capability enhancement by integration of EW systems and new weapons.
1) In-house designed Mission Computer (Both Hardware and Software) replacing existing obsolete Display Mission Computer
2) Indigenous Data Transfer System (DTS) with additional capability of Pre-Flight Message (PFM) loading replacing existing DTS
3) IFF Mk XII transponder in place of existing IFF Mk X
4) Integration of all other retained legacy systems with MC (viz MFDs, PDU&DEP, INGPS, AHRS-NSU, RADALT, INCOM (V/UHF), VOR/ILS, TACAN, SMS, ADS, HUMS and EU etc.
EW capability through integration of R118 RWR and CMDS
: Integration of following conventional and smart weapons:
- 450Kg HSLD Bomb
- 500 Kg GPB
- SAAW (In Single and Twin Configuration)
- Spice 250 Kg in CLP
HINDUSTAN TURBO TRAINER (HTT)-40
The Hindustan Turbo Trainer (HTT)-40 is an ab-initio trainer aircraft designed to meet primary training requirements. This fully aerobatic tandem seat turbo trainer will have an air-conditioned cockpit, modern avionics, hot refueling, quick pilot change over and zero-zero ejection seats. Built around a proven turbo prop engine, this aircraft is designed to have good low speed handling qualities for better training effectiveness. This aircraft will be certified to FAR-23 Standard.
The aircraft is fitted with Glass Cockpit and Indigenously developed Avionics viz Radio Communication, Standby Communication, VOR-ILS, TACAN, Radio Altimeter and Identification Friend or Foe (IFF) and Integrated Standby Instrument System (ISIS).
The HTT-40 is powered by Honeywell TPE331-12B Turboprop engine.
- Sturdy structure with a combination of light alloys and composites.
- Single piece canopy giving both pilots good all-round vision
- Glass cockpit
- Maximum speed 450 km/h
- Maximum load factor +6/-3 g
- Glide ratio of 12.3:1
- General Handling
- Instrument Flying
- Close formation
- Night flying
- Length : 10.061 meter
- Height : 3.583 meter
- Span : 11.0 meter
- Basic Empty Mass : 2414 kg
- Internal fuel mass : 460 kg
- Maximum Take-off Mass : 3040 kg
- Normal Training Configuration Mass : 2960 kg
- Take-off Distance : 785 meter
- Landing Distance : 987 meter
- Time to Climb 3 km : 7.05 min
- Service ceiling : 6 km
- Range : 1009 km
- Endurance : 3.09 hrs
- Max permissible Speed : 450 kmph @ 6g
- Max level Speed : 407 kmph
- Max Power : 1100 Shp
The Target Aircraft “ABHYAS” – High Speed Expendable Aerial Target (HEAT) system, designed and developed by DRDO’s Aeronautical Development Establishment (ADE) is programmed for fully autonomous flight using laptop-based Ground Control Station (GCS). The air vehicle is launched using twin under-slung boosters which provide the initial acceleration to the vehicle. It is powered by a gas turbine engine to sustain a long endurance flight at subsonic speed and equipped with Micro Electro Mechanical System (MEMS) based Inertial Navigation System (INS) for navigation along with the Flight Control Computer (FCC) for guidance and control.
- Powered by a gas turbine engine to sustain a long endurance flight at subsonic speed.
- Equipped with a MEMS (Micro-Electro-Mechanical Systems)-based Inertial Navigation System (INS) for navigation along with the Flight Control Computer (FCC) for guidance and control.
- Programmed for fully autonomous flight and their check-out is done using a laptop-based Ground Control Station (GCS).
- Equipped with Radar Cross-Section (RCS) and infrared signatures which can be used to simulate a variety of aircraft for the practice of anti-aircraft warfare and also for the testing designed to target aerial targets.
- It will be used as a target for the evaluation of various missile systems.
- The radar cross-section (RCS) as well as its visual and infrared signatures can be augmented to simulate a variety of aircraft for anti-aircraft warfare practices and testing of surface-to-air missile (SAM) systems.
- It can function as a jammer platform and decoy.
- Speed : 400 kmph
- Altitude : 5000 m
- Maneuverability : 2 ‘g’
- Endurance : 30 minutes
- Rate of Climb : 10 m/s
- Laptop based simple Ground Control System
- Minimum logistics requirement
- User friendly system
MALE UAV ‘TAPAS’(Tactical Airborne Platform for Aerial Surveillance) is being developed to meet the Indian Armed Forces requirements for Intelligence, Surveillance and Reconnaissance (ISR) roles by transmitting real time data to ground control station. It may also be used for civil purpose e.g. assisting in relief & rescue operations during natural calamities. It can carry many types payloads such as Medium & Long Range Electro-Optic (MREO & LREO) systems, Electronic & Communication Intelligence (ELINT & COMINT) systems, Synthetic Aperture & Maritime Patrol (SAR & MPAR) Radars; additionally, it can also carry situational awareness payloads e.g. IFF, TCAS, UCR.
- Payload Capacity : 250 kg
- Length : 10.2 m
- Wingspan : 20.6 m
- AUW : 2850 kg
- Powerplant : 2 x Austro AE 300 (170 hp each)
- Propellers : 3-bladed constant-speed propeller
- Maximum speed : 224 km/h
- Range : 250 km (LOS)
- Endurance : 24 hours
- Service ceiling : 32,000 ft
Repairs, Major Servicing and Supply of Spares
The Division has extensive experience in carrying out fleet Repairs, Modification, Upgrade, Minor & Minor Star Servicing and Supply of Spares. These services are carried out at both in-house and at the customer bases.
As part of Customer service, technical support is rendered in:-
- Maintenance and Repair of Aircraft
- Compliance of Modification and Technical Instructions
- Accident and Incident Investigations
- Priority demands
- Field Representations
- Training of Customer's Personnel
On the Logistic side, the support is extended in:-
- Supply of spares and Ground Handling and Ground Service Equipment
- Supply of Tools & Testers
- Supply of items against priority demands like AOG,
- Repair of Rotables
- Landing Gears / Retraction Jacks - Repair and Overhaul
- Forecasting spares requirement
The Division has gained significant expertise in Aircraft and related publications. Product literature is supplied and amended as required to incorporate ratified modifications.
Product Literature includes Servicing manuals, General and Technical Instructions, Illustrated Parts Catalogues, Maintenance Manuals. Flight Manuals, Repair Manuals.
Customer’s crew and technicians are provided with servicing and maintenance training through in-plant training courses, workshops and operators conferences.
Hindustan Aeronautics Limited
Bangalore - 560 017, INDIA.
Telephone : 91 - 80 - 22322226
Fax : 91 - 80 - 22318676